Dear UK heatwave, if you do decide to come back and see us we’d love for you to bring with you a night time breeze…
It was only halfway through the heatwave of the last couple of weeks that I realised we still had our heavy duvet on! I seriously thought I was beginning with night sweats over here, so we switched over to our summer tog duvet and instantly felt cooler for it.
We had a bedroom update in the Spring which was great for introducing a few key pieces to our new home, but now we were needing some fresh cool summery linen for the bed. Cue Soak and Sleep to our rescue!
Soak and Sleep is a wonderfully luxurious online brand stocking bed and bath products. Very worthy of a mention is that they are the UK’s number one duvet and pillow brand as voted by Which? magazine! Head over to the Soak and Sleep website and you’ll find a lovely range of simple bedroom designs ranging from furniture to flat sheets.
I was looking for something that looked and felt cool and calming, so for the first time I chose a blue tone for our bedroom. Normally a fan of plain white sheets, the coastal blue and white stripe has fitted really well with our neutral scheme and white accessories. Shop the Linen Stripe Bed Linen range.
The bedding is so incredibly soft to the touch and is perfect for these summer months, as the linen has French flax woven into it along with moisture wicking properties to help keep you cool all night long. The feel is lightweight yet excellent quality, so I just know we’ll be enjoying this for many summers to come!
I haven’t even mentioned the best bit… Yes, it’s non iron, which is music to my Mama ears! Simply wash as normal at 30 or 40 degrees, hang on the line or tumble dry on a low heat and pop it straight back on the bed looking fresh and crumple free. It’s so easy to slip on over a duvet also, no fighting with the duvet to get the cover on is a bonus!
The button detail is such a lovely finishing touch to the design as it contrasts so well with the white underside of the duvet.
Our tried and tested ways to keep cool at night:
- The ‘bottle of frozen water in front of a fan’ trick. It works. Well, it really helps, we had Emilia in with us a lot over the heatwave as our room is much cooler than hers at night. Putting a bottle/pan/bowl of ice in front of a fan really helps to distribute cooler air around the room rather than just circulating the hot air.
- PJ’s. I’ve gone for loose and light soft cotton and shorts sets for both Emilia and I, I’ve found the light fabric helps to wick away any extra heat.
- I’ve found a shower on a cooler tepid setting before bed really helps cool things down before bed.
- Open the windows on different sides of the house to create a through flow of cooler air once the temperature drops a bit.
- Close windows and curtains during the day to keep that hot air out and trap any cooler air.
- Keep iced water by the bed so you can sip though out the night if you need to.
- Those spritz bottles of water really help if you need a quick cool down in the night. We use Magicool.
Others I’ve heard of but haven’t yet tried:
- Hanging a damp sheet in front of an open window. Instant cooler for any hot air coming through the window at night.
- Use a hot water bottle filled with cold water to take to bed. I’ll be doing this if the heatwave comes back for sure.
I know these may all sound really obvious but when those hot nights were here, I had to Google to find out how best to cool us all down!
Shop the Linen Stripe Bed Linen range HERE, which is currently part of the Summer Sale range (as of June 2017).
This post is written in collaboration with Soak and Sleep. All thoughts and opinions are as always, my own.